Hello, how can we help you?
Get answers to the most commonly asked questions about RoundUp App.
FAQs for donors using RoundUp App to donate to their charity.
What changes can donors make to their RoundUp App accounts?
RoundUp App tried to give donors full control over their giving so they can change the amount, which nonprofits and causes they’re giving to, and other details of their account.
Donors can log in to their RoundUp App accounts via a browser or a downloaded app and visit their profile and settings to make all the changes users would expect to be able to control, including:
- Update name, email address, phone number, profile picture
- Reset password
- Update notification settings
- Close the account
- Pause donations
- Update or change payment options
- Update or change linked accounts for roundup donations
- Change giving preferences such as:
- monthly maximum donation amount
- whether or not to roundup $1 on whole dollar transactions
Donors can also change the nonprofit they’re donating to, add additional nonprofits, and start giving to “Cause Funds” via options in their RoundUp App account.
If a nonprofit would like to help a donor pause or close a RoundUp App account, please use our support chat or send an email to email@example.com and our support team will assist you. Nonprofits can also share the following instructions with donors:
- Click on Profile
- Click on Settings
- Close Account
How do donors close their RoundUp App account?
Donors have full control over their donation account and can close it at any time.
Donors should log into their RoundUp App account (this can happen online via a laptop or desktop computer, or via an Apple or Android app) and visit Profile>Settings and click on “Close Account”.
A pop-up will appear to confirm the donor wants to close the account or pause the donations on the account. If a donor pauses the donations, donations can be unpaused at any time when it works for the donor to resume giving. If a donor chooses to close the account, RoundUp App will lose the read-only link to their bank account and Stripe access to the payment source.
What are questions commonly asked by donors?
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked donor questions about RoundUp App.
What kinds of organizations can I donate to via RoundUp App? Any registered 501(c)3 organization with a bank account in the United States can receive donations via RoundUp App, including “fiscally sponsored” groups.
If you don’t see your favorite nonprofit on our organization list, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the organization.
- Are my donations tax-deductible? Yes! Donations made through RoundUp App are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law, just like a normal donation to a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
- Will I get a tax receipt for my donation? Yes, we will send you a tax receipt immediately for a one-time donation, monthly for monthly donations, and we will send you a yearly statement with all of your donations.
- How will my donations appear on my card statement? Your RoundUps will appear on your monthly statement as a single donation to the nonprofit you’ve selected. The only exception is if you choose to give an additional one-time gift to the nonprofit.
- Why do you need my bank details? RoundUp App requires 2 pieces of information from a donor: a card/debit card and a bank account. The card is used as a funding source to charge your donations at the end of each month. The bank integration is used to calculate the RoundUps. Note: RoundUp App is provided READ-ONLY access to your account in order to calculate the amount of the RoundUp donations.
- How are you keeping my card information secure? RoundUp App uses Stripe as its payment processor – the same company that does payment processing for Amazon, Facebook, Lyft, and 100,000 other organizations. Only Stripe has access to your credit or debit card number.
- How will my nonprofit receive the donations? Donations are deposited directly into the nonprofit’s bank account via Stripe. As a result, donations come directly from the donor. Any nonprofits that haven’t set up a Stripe account will receive your donation via a grant from our donor-advised fund (DAF) that will be mailed as a check.
- Can I roundup payments I make via ApplePay, Venmo, Paypal, etc.? Yes. If accounts on those platforms are linked to your linked bank account, we will RoundUp payments made on them, too!
- Do I have to make a connection to my bank account to donate via RoundUp App?
Yes and no. RoundUp App requires a funding source from donors (usually a credit or debit card) and a bank account to “roundup” transactions. The bank integration provides us with “read-only” access to your account that allows us to calculate the roundups.
If you want to skip the “roundup” part you can donate to your nonprofit monthly or one-time.
- Does RoundUp App work with all bank accounts? RoundUp App works with most bank accounts. If you can’t find a bank’s information while setting up an account, please email us at email@example.com or use our chat support and we will try to help.
- When will my monthly donations occur? Donations happen on the 15th day of the month. The app keeps track of your change throughout the month. On the 15th of each month, the app will donate your accumulated change (or it will donate the monthly amount that you set as a maximum or as a monthly donation) to the nonprofits you chose.
- How do RoundUp App donations appear on my bank statements? Your bank or credit card statement will show the nonprofit’s name if they are a RoundUp App client or you will see “RoundUp App” if you are donating to an organization that is not yet a client.
- Does RoundUp App have to be opened for my transaction to roundup?
No. All transactions from linked accounts will be rounded up toward a monthly donation total and there’s no need to have the app open or select particular transactions in any way.
On the homepage of the app, donors can view their current RoundUps and can always see how much they will donate at the end of the month.
- Can I use RoundUp App to make a one-time donation? Yes! Donors can choose to make a one-time gift of $1, $5, $10, $25 or a custom amount. One-time donations can be found on the home screen of the app.
- Can I change which nonprofit(s) I’m donating to? Yes, donors can change their nonprofit designation in the donor app. Donors can also give to multiple nonprofits.
- Is RoundUp App secure? Yes, donations processed through RoundUp App are completely secure. We use Stripe as our payment processor. Only Stripe has access to your credit or debit card number. Card numbers are not saved on the app, shared with the RoundUp App team, or shared with nonprofits. We partner with Plaid for “read-only” access to banking transactions for the rounding up.
- Is donor information ever shared or sold to third parties? No. Donor information is never shared with third-parties and will never be stored or sold to any outside agencies. Donor name, email address, and phone numbers are only shared with the nonprofits a donor supports.
- Can I give to multiple nonprofits via RoundUp App? Yes! You can give to as many nonprofits as you’d like via our platform.
- Is there a monthly minimum donation for using RoundUp App? Yes, there is a $5 per nonprofit minimum donation.
- Can I pause my donations? Yes, you can pause your donations in your donor settings.
- Can I cancel my account? Yes, you can cancel your account in your donor settings.
Why do you ask me to link my bank account?
RoundUp App allows users to automatically donate the change from everyday transactions to the nonprofit of their choice.
RoundUp App requires a funding source from donors (usually a credit or debit card) and a bank account to “RoundUp” transactions. The bank integration provides us with “read-only” access to your account that allows us to calculate the RoundUps.
No one at RoundUp App will ever see your bank or card information. Your data security is our guarantee, which is why we use Stripe as our payment processor and Plaid as our bank authenticator.
If you want to skip the “RoundUp” part and donate to your nonprofit monthly, you can set your minimum donation amount and we will simply donate that amount monthly.